Search My History...

Monday, August 1, 2011

"How great are the dangers I face to win a good name in Athens" -Alexander The Great

This quote speaks the truth... I did a lot in Greece, and not much at all at the same time....
Why is this???
Well Greece is going through some financial difficulties as a country and they have a budget deficit of about 145%, which yes is a lot. So it was very difficult doing much especially since on the first day Hilary Clinton came to Athens to give a speech at the Acropolis Museum and then wanted to see everything that there was to see in Greece. Because of this almost all the streets were being shut down for her to get by without traffic.
That first night I also went  to see the brand new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 2.
The next day all taxi's went on strike and blocked all the streets so that tourists could not get anywhere. I believe that the government was making changes so that it would be cheaper and easier to obtain a taxi license and they thought it was unfair to them and they decided to hit where it would hit the most, the tourist industry.
Luckily for me I was able to see the Acropolis and the Museum the first day. So the rest of my stay in Greece I pretty much spent on the boat, apart from going out to dinner on the second night and on the third day I went to the city to go shopping with a friend of mine. At 9pm we decided to take a bus back to port, and the bus went on strike. I made sure before we even started shopping that the bus would be running and how often it came to a particular stop. We waited for almost an hour for the bus to come, and it never came. So we ended up asking a nice gentleman on which metro to take and how to get a metro ticket and all that, he was kind enough to take us almost all the way to the port.
I also went to get some wine the last night with a couple girls and we had cherries with it. The man that served us wouldn't take any money from us so we left him a tip which he tried to give back to us 3 blocks away from the restaurant, we refused to take it.

Here is a little song to honor Greece...

So yes this was Greece... I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment